Version 4.8 (WIP)
Release Notes tell you what’s new in Academic. As always, we welcome your feedback. You can also file a bug report. Want to update to this version? Refer to the update guide in conjunction with the parameter changes mentioned in the Breaking Changes section below.
See what’s new in Academic!
Welcome to the v4.8 release of Academic. There are a number of exciting updates in this version that we hope you will like, including:
- Admin interface to easily edit content online
- The shape of avatars can now be configured as a square or circle
- New icon shortcode added to render icons within Markdown content
- Re-adds support for opening external Markdown links in new tabs using Hugo’s new render hooks (the feature broke in Hugo v0.60 and was replaced with an alternative approach in Hugo v0.62)
- Fixes external links opening both in current tab and in a new tab when using Google Analytics (via
- Fixes lazy loading of images causing inaccurate anchor scrolling and active link highlighting
- As of a previous release, gallery and figure images are lazy loaded to speed up page load. However, lazy loading without initial image sizes defined can lead to inaccurate anchor scrolling and active link highlighting as the anchor offset changes after an uncached image occurring before the anchor is lazily loaded. This update helps resolve this. See #1199 comment.
- Hugo Extended v0.62+ required - tested with v0.63.1
- If using Netlify, edit the Hugo version in
See the latest parameters for help upgrading the following params:
shapeoption added under new
gravataroption moved under new
- Login to Netlify, find the site you deployed with Netlify, and add yourself as an editor under the Identity section
- Copy the
admin folder over to your
static/folder and push your changes to your remote Git repository, such as Github
- Wait for your updated site to successfully deploy with Netlify, and head over to
YOUR_SITE.com/admin/to view your content management panel
You can now easily edit blog posts online, for example:
Note that you don’t need to deploy a site with Netlify.com in order to use Netlify CMS. However, in the default Netlify CMS provided, we assume the site is deployed with Netlify.com as we leverage its Identity feature to setup and authenticate people as content editors.
For multilingual sites, the content paths will need modifying appropriately in the Netlify CMS config file at
- Fix logo in navbar transforming into site title on mobile. See #1439. Fixes #1507.
- Add support for external_link in archives
- Improves consistency: external projects are now opened in new tab whether they are viewed from the Portfolio widget or archive page. See #1525.
- Only allow auto day/night when day_night enabled. See #1526.
- Add Latvian language (#1531)
- Add Khmer language (#1523)
- Update Basque (#1539)
- Update Korean (#1538)
- style: upgrade Bootstrap from 4.3.1 to 4.4.1
Last but certainly not least, a big Thank You to all the folks that helped to make Academic even better.
Has Academic helped you? Please consider supporting Academic.